Editor: Notepad plus plus
Notepad++ is a simple editor with a Notepad-like interface but has features such as varied syntax highlighting themes, document compare tools and web launcher abilities which make it nicer and much more useful, even for basic text writing and editing.
- To make sure you're using spaces and not tabs for indents, go to Settings/Preferences/Language Menu&Tab Settings and check 'Replace by space' on the right side.
- To make sure white spaces and tabs are always displayed, go to View/Special Characters and check 'Show White Space and Tab'.
- To deactivate the auto-indentation, go to Settings/Preferences/Misc and uncheck 'Auto-indent'.
Switching Syntax Highlight Themes and Editing Them
- Notepad++ has several syntax highlight themes you can choose. Go to Settings/Style Configurator to select your favorite. However, you'll see that when you open the program again it's gone back to using its default theme. To change that, open Explorer and go to C:/programs/Notepad++/themes. Copy paste your favorite theme into C:/programs/Notepad++. Rename it to stylers.xml. You may need Administrator rights to do this.
- To permanently change the default values of your theme, you can edit the .xml file, save it to another folder then cut/paste it again in the right folder; it won't let you save it otherwise. You may need Administrator rights to do this.