Editor: Notepad plus plus
Notepad++ is a simple editor for Windows with a Notepad-like interface but also features such as tabs, syntax highlighting themes and document compare tools which make it much nicer and much more useful, even for basic text writing and editing. It is available in many languages, included by default, and can also automatically recognize most programming languages.
To comply with Dreamwidth's requirements:
- Go to Settings/Preferences/New document and select 'Unix' for line-breaks and 'UFT-8 without BOM' for encoding.
- Go to Settings/Preferences/Tabs and check 'Replace by space'.
- Go to Settings/Preferences/Editing and check 'Show vertical edge' (the number of columns should be set to 100 by default).
- To always display tabs and white spaces, go to View/Special Characters and check 'Show White Space and Tab'.
- To deactivate auto-indents, go to Settings/Preferences/Misc and uncheck 'Auto-indent'.
Editing Syntax Highlight Themes
To permanently change the default values of your theme, go to /Programs/Notepad++/themes, copy the .xml file, paste it in another folder, edit it then move it back to the original folder (you can't edit it directly). You may need Administrator rights to do this.
Notepad++ and Other Software
- Using Notepad++ with WinSCP: go to View/Preferences/Editors. Click on Add/External Editor and Browse. At the end don't forget to click on Up to make it the first editor in the list.