Newbie Guide for Windows People Working on Minor Bugs
To Wikify: http://experiment.dreamwidth.org/9596.html
= Installing and Settings Things Up
You'll only have to do this once.
==⊕ Get a Dreamhack
What's a Dreamhack? To put it simply, it's a mirror of the Dreamwidth site where you can test your changes.
- Apply for a Dreamhack by filling this form.
- Get PuTTY - choose the 'A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel' .exe file - and install it.
- Run PuTTY. In the configuration window, enter "hack.dreamwidth.net" for the host name. Go to Connection/Data and enter the username/login given to you in the welcome e-mail. It should be something like dh-xxx. You may also want to change the Window/Appearance, Window/Colours and Window/Selection settings. Once you're done, go back to Session. Select Default Settings and click on Save.
- Click on Open. Click Yes on the pop-up message box.
- Enter the password given to you in the welcome e-mail when asked. Note that no characters are displayed and the cursor won't move. It's normal.
- Change your password by typing:
- On your Dreamhack, the default user is called 'system'. You need to set its password so you can access this account. Type:
- Once you're done type:
- You can access your Dreamhack at http://yourusername.hack.dreamwidth.net/ and log in as system. You may want to upgrade your account to a paid one by going here.