Styles and Design Getting Started
Welcome to styles and design!
Styles and Design Areas
Here are the kinds of tasks someone can do in styles and design:
- Designing system styles
- Designing styles to share with others
- Assisting others with their styles
- Creating public mood themes
- Testing and revising draft styles in dreamscapes
- Converting submitted CSS styles in dreamscapes to S2 themes
- Developing S2's capabilities and backend work, like adding modules
Places to collaborate or get help
- The official styles community, where you can read announcements from the team and ask questions, is dw_styles.
- The official community for submitting styles for consideration to be included in the system is dreamscapes. You can go there and submit drafts of intended system styles you'd like help with, and you can also help out others with their styles.
- There are also some auxillary help communities: style_system and layoutmakers. These are appropriate places to ask questions about the style system and share resources.
- You can find tools to help you develop Dreamwidth styles at the_style_kit.
- You can share unofficial styles here: dreamwidthlayouts.
- The IRC channel #dreamwidth-dev is available for real time communication and you can often find styles team members there or in #dreamwidth; for more information on using IRC, see the IRC and IRC help wiki pages.
- Here is a list of style bugs on Bugzilla; you can read more on doing development in particular on Dev Getting Started.
Guides and how-tos
- Working on a Styles Bug
- Properties and Conversion by branchandroot
- Tips: Customizing Tabula Rasa by ninetydegrees
- Style flairs you can do with core2 CSS classes
- The Quick and Dirty Guide to Creating a Color Theme by zvi
Currently, the S2 documentation is kind of sad and out of shape.
- S2 Guide and S2 Cookbook -- our work-in progress guides on S2
- LJ's old S2 docs -- these have some useful information.
- People already familiar with S2 might be able to glean things from the core2.s2 code.
- People familiar with S2 and Perl might be able to glean more from the S2.pm code.
We currently have a little help for S2's CSS available here:
- S2 CSS -- a listing of the current DW specific CSS classes for layouts
For exploring CSS, we also recommend the following extensions:
Here are some useful resources for CSS:
Here are some useful tools for making color schemes:
- ColourLovers's Copaso
- Color Scheme Designer
- 4096 Color Wheel
- Color Palette Generator
- Color Schemer 2.0
- ColorSuckr -- creates color schemes from photos
Here are some places that have stock images: